This item of outrageous outerwear became popular in the 70’s and has been spotted on the catwalk this Fall, with the likes of Missoni, Burberry and Alexander McQueen. It’s the time of year to rock the festive sweater. From the chunky cable knit, to the traditional British polo and of course, the cheesy, festive printed, motif-bearing piece.
A short or cropped jumper looks great with thick wool tights and high waist washed-out denim shorts. For a boyfriend look, choose a jumper in a size up from yours and wear with leggings. From left to right:
- Crew neck sweater – £69 (Cabbages and Roses)
- Embellished jumper – £55.99 (River Island)
- Reindeer jumper – £50 (Topshop)
- Print jumper – £19.99 (H&M)
- JOSEPH jumper – £265 (Coggles)
Your dad can pull out his old jumper too, Retro is back. The chunky knit polo’s look great with trousers, for ultimate country gent. From left to right:
- Cable knit polo neck jumper – £29.99 (H&M)
- Priestley’s Vintage Fairisle Tank – £125 (Coggles)
- Dip dye chunky knit – £125 (Reiss)
- Eagle polo neck – £315 (Gold label at Vivienne Westwood)
- Micky and Minnie sweat – £28 (Topman)
Of course, the vintage selection at Purple Haze, Priestley’s, and York’s many charity shops can also spring a few one-off Christmas jumpers but be quick!